"Storms Never Last Do They, Baby?"

I am a little embarrassed to admit that the title of this post is actually from an old Waylon Jennings country song, but just bear with me!! I'm not as cool as you think I am and after this post I am prepared for the "Country is Lame" bullying and looks of disgust later 😉 (**AWKWARD LAUGHTER**) .

This song was introduced to me as I visited my Dad this past summer.  It's mine and Dad's thing!  He relaxes in the evening by showing me old songs and stories of singers/bands that bring back memories for him.  I get to know my Dad and connect to him through the sounds of his good ol' days. Sometimes I roll my eyes, but most times I just love being with dad and truthfully the songs usually find their way to my playlist in a perfect blend of the old and new songs that I enjoy...and remind me of times with Dad.






Memory of this song came to me this last weekend as we waited through  a crazy, early winter storm!  It was bizarre and affected people's lives in huge ways throughout our Manitoban City.    Hydro was out for days on end and instead of pouring gravy out of their Grandma's China gravy boat onto  warm turkey dinners, people were pouring out worry, shivering through the cold and ceasing their toilet flushing habits.  I felt in myself a sense of not being able to do anything!  I couldn't go anywhere or do anything to make it all 'back to normal'!   I just had to trust...I just had to rest...I just had to listen. I had to wait and know that it would all be ok.  I had to breathe in grace, joy and gratefulness and make finger animals on the ceiling in the candlelight with my little tiny girl housemates. I took a nap, read a little longer and tried to enjoy making coffee with cold water! (Blah! Can you tell  I'm a tad caffeine dependent?!) God reminded me that He was there and  that His hand in mine stills the the thunder and we would all be ok.

 On this Thanksgiving 2019 as I worked through all the annoyances of not showering and not having hot meals I remembered the many who are not privy to these 'normal things'  who are on our streets every day.   I remembered to choose gratefulness not because it was THE holiday, but because I want a life that sees the gift instead of just the gloom.   I  remembered He is a God who is present and not distant in the storm.  When it's all settled, and the lights and heat are turned back on and we reflect on what happens in us and where God was in it all, I think He would have much to say to us as we pay attention...if we pay attention.    I think it's the things that He speaks to us in the storm that give hope, courage and resilience to our walk. I've had my share of 'storms' over my three decades of living...and even now the winds howl hard.  You too, hey?!  Yes, none of us are exempt.  We face storms that knock the power right out of us, but in these moments it is my hope and practice that we recall the Voice that reminds us that the storm won't last and He is there.  Let me tell you, dear friend that this is a Voice that is sweeter than any ol' nostalgic country song and can out sing Waylon's song ANY day and for all Eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust