Open Containers & Women Who Lead

 In my kitchen cupboard there are a variety of cups. It's probably not much different than your collection.  There are tumblers, wine glasses,  coffee mugs and two pieces of real china--one from my grandmother and another tea cup and saucer from a woman who has been a good friend over the years.  In the morning I need a big mug to sip my coffee! Sabbath and celebration days are for the wine & china containers :) and then some days I just reach for whatever is clean and available.  This may drive some of you crazy, but in this house coffee mugs have been used to hold soup, juice, ice cream and sometimes just  plain ol'  water!  

What's my point?  I've been talking to God about a myriad of things that cause me to wrestle & pray---and at times enter into conversation that is not always comfortable for me.  One of those things is the role of women and their leadership in a spiritual context.I realize not everyone has the same context and background as me and I respect that.  My intention here is not to argue equality, gender roles and stereotypes, debate egalitarian vs complementarian views even or pull out Scripture ---though I think there is a time and place for all of that---just give me a day or so notice and I'd gladly sit, hear& dialogue with you over a cup of coffee. I just know the freedom I've experienced as I've studied how Jesus loved and cherished women and many of them give us examples of women who did radical, risky things in their day out of their love and how it moved them to act even if they were scorned or misunderstood by the people.

So how does this all connect to the cups in my cupboard? Tonight may I clearly state with every fiber of my being that God chooses, speaks to, anoints and fills any woman whose heart is  humbly and courageously open to His Spirit. She indeed can study & wrestle through the deep things of God and the Scriptures. She can be a vessel--a participant--a preacher---a contributor to the work of God and the building up of His people. And just like the cups in my cupboard--- God chooses and fills the container or the cup that is open and available. So this means gifts, leadership, roles and voices do matter in God's Kingdom whatever the container looks like--women, children, men, people of all races etc. 

So for now in this time in my life it's not about a fight anymore! My goal is not just  to carry a title or step into a leadership role because I am gifted or am better than all the brothers or other sisters beside me, but I carry it only because of the God who chose me and lead me here for this time---in this place!  And so I will say Yes, as a woman---as an open cup chosen to be filled and poured out again and again as I am ---with my own voice and set apart purpose in the world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust