Greenhouses & Invitations of Love

 I’ve been in many places in the last 10 years that were like spiritual greenhouses for my soul. My years of youth work, leadership development programs, prayers of discernment gatherings, spiritual formation learning, health crisies and getting comfortable with my own story were all parts of the planting and forming strong roots of who I am today in God.

Spring and summer move some of us into going to greenhouses. I have  a love for them that is mostly about the aesthetics and smells of them after the work is done. It’s so good!  I forget often about  the work "behind the scenes" or “under the soil” that is quite literally what keeps the beauty alive and forms resilience in plants.  


My Sister in law's family runs and owns their own (Look up Gray's Greenhouses if ever you're in my area) 

This summer again  I was intrigued by the process of growth that we don't see. I've even got a few low maintenance house plants this year to care for. The long hours, the dirt, the compost, the water, the planting and tending to the roots underneath. It all leads to a picture of Spiritual Direction.

 The practice of Spiritual Direction is a spiritual greenhouse. The real work being that of  the unseen work of the Holy Spirit  in the lives of those I see. In God's garden there are ministries and people who work the soil, some who water, some who sow and some who see the flower and the fruit of many, many hours of private prayer and ministry before anything shows on the surface. Spiritual Direction often focuses on the unseen holy moves of God in the underneath and in the daily hours of our life.

As I think about my part NOW in God's work I am in area of Canada that is not familiar with the ministry of Spiritual Direction. It has brought such a depth and clarity in my soul that —this ministry of care—this ministry of prayer is something I am called to. If you think a monthly hour of prayer— time in a Spiritual Direction hour would be helpful please contact me. This is your  love invitation without obligation by which you are given permission to grow and be a more healthy leader and person, I’ll pray with you and ask for the grace to see with the eyes of God what  He’s doing in you.

Here's a few more thoughts about Spiritual Direction:

It's about PRESENCE...


Spiritual Direction is a way of being with you to help you listen, look and become aware of God's Presence in your life.

  • WHY SPIRITUAL DIRECTION?
I have danced around many circles of busy, productive living and ministry. I have known these things in my own soul too. The ministry of Spiritual Direction invites you to a reflective time of unhurried, peaceful, quiet prayerful space. It invites you to say out loud some of your deepest fears, questions, doubts and joys. It allows for some of our most vulnerable hurts and pains to breathe in a way that doesn't try to manipulate or fix us.God is trusted to be the healer as the Director open-handedly listens and hears the directees story. It is an arm of spiritual care that I believe is vital to the health of an individual and the bigger Body of Christ.
  • WHO IS IT FOR?
Spiritual Direction invites people who desire to know God intimately in their every day life. It is ongoing care for your soul whether you are a leader or not, in crisis or not, discerning or decided. It is for YOU--- if you are ready to see and know God and be transformed!
  • WHAT IS A SESSION LIKE?
A one-hour session usually starts with prayer and silence after which the directee will break the silence with what she/he feels God is bringing to the heart's surface. As a Director, our "job" will not be to direct you in a way that gives advice or suggestions. Our role is to listen and "direct" you towards God and His leading in your life and experience. There is no preparation or obligation! No step by step plan, no formula! Sessions can, but may not always include reflections on Scripture, Gospel stories and book readings as lead by the Holy Spirit. It will be a space held for you to come as you are, be who you are and allow God to help you become all you are to be. Offerings of wonder, tears, anger, laughter, silence, yawns and "I don't knows" and mess are so welcome. Sessions are available by phone or video so it’s very accessible.

I charge $50/session. Once you contact me I’ll give you a calendar link where you can book a session one at a time or monthly.
If you find Spiritual Direction doesn’t work for you or you’d rather someone different, no worries. Just let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust