My Royal Identity & YFC SI (Summer Institute)

I sit across the table from a sister who ministers to girls in the sex traffic industry. I laugh with a brother who uses ball hockey or  biking as his hook to serve and point guys to Jesus. I sit with an artist who uses her gifts to reach out to girls.  I pray and eat  with sisters who mentor teens. I clap with joy as an African brother sings and prays over us. I sit in amazement as  I chat with a director of a group home or a leader in their community & then I breathe and say "God, this IS my family...I am part of something a whole lot bigger than just YOUR work in Portage...I am a Daughter of A King who wants the whole world to come to Him.  

My week of SI (Summer Institute) in Ontario was a HUGE encouragement to me and it is hard to put into words all that I learned/am learning and saw that week, but here it is in a nutshell:

  • We are called to Build Together.
One of the most powerful moments during my week at SI was the concert of prayer that we had on  the Sunday Night.  I loved that we as a YFC family could just pray, worship and bask in the joy of the Father.  The Man of God who shared that night talked about Gideon, Deborah, & Nehemiah and how they were Mighty Warriors for God--they were kingdom builders!  At the end of his talk, we had a moment of self examine and then we were to come forward and place a brick on a wall at the front to remind us that we at YFC are kingdom builders who rebuild out of the rubble the  lives of Youth in Canada &  around the world.  I walked to the front asking God what He would say to me through this and once I got there I realized I couldn't even lift the brick myself onto the wall.  I couldn't stand, hold my crutches and carry the brick all at the same time!  I had to ask my brother behind me for help and then I felt as if God was saying to me "Dee, you can't do this alone...learn to lean on Me and others for support as you build." We were meant to live in community...to pray for,  support, strengthen and encourage each other and I was reminded again that my God does not leave  me alone in this and He in His goodness sends people and to help do the work He calls us to.  We are instruments used in the power of Spirit together for His glory.
  • I am a Royal Daughter
I got to the campus of Redeemer College University on the Wednesday and was so insecure & scared of my new surroundings and the people I would meet.  You would think I would be used to this whole new place/new people thing, but I felt so weak against these real fears in my heart.  In new situations, I feel almost as if people see me and want to "fix me" or feel sorry for me and though I can appreciate  and am thankful for their heart  and concern,  I often just want to stand up on a table first thing and yell, "Hi, my name is Deanna and I have Cerebral Palsy...but I am OK!" God has been  peeling back a lot of things in my heart about where my true identity lies and the reminder at SI that my identity does not lie in my crutches or my scooter, but in Christ as my King was like peace to my struggling heart!  In the midst of  others prayers for my physical healing and conversations of heart sharing I choose now & forever to be bold in the fact that my broken body is  to be used to let the light of His glory shine through!  I am HIS girl...this is His body and I will cease from striving and know that HE is God!  Whether I drive my scooter, or dance along the streets with or without  my crutches I know that there is NOTHING that can take my Royal Identity away.  Christ is my King and even in brokeness He is using me!!  That my dear friends should make even you want to dance!
  • Fight on
SI brought a renewed passion for what I do...I cannot say that all of the things we talked about and heard were easy to digest.  In the middle of a culture of Truth that is so distorted my heart often feels so overwhelmed by what I see in lives and hear in conversation, and yet my heart burns with a desire to be a woman who stands on the TRUTH!  I don't just want to survive in ministry, but thrive!  I want to stand against the flow and be so careful to let Jesus & the Word invade my physical, emotional and spiritual life that I will keep on fighting!  So I want to keep on going...I want to never let the flame die for the sake of youth in Portage and around the world.
  • Tell your story
We don't even realize the power of sharing our story.  My week at SI as I sat and listened to the stories and ministries of my YFC family I was forever impacted.  I think that we need to stop pretending like we have nothing to offer and share the story of what God has done in our lives.  We need to tell it!!  Stop wearing the mask, above all  tell the story of JESUS...this is what will will make the difference!
HE CAN MAKE BEAUTY OUT OF THE RUBBLE! 

So...what are you gonna do to build His Kingdom in your town, city , country,& the world?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust