A Mom and her "special" child

A few months ago I sat in a home of a beautiful family.  This family moved to Manitoba in recent years from Mexico and are adjusting to life here.  Sometimes the life I live allows me to meet people and I come away thinking that there is no doubt that it is definitely is a "God thing"that I meet them.

I walked in the door and this dark haired, big eyed beautiful girl was at the door with her Momma waiting for me. She wasn't standing...she wasn't running. She was sitting on the floor on all fours. She was crawling.  This little sweet thing... she had Cerebral Palsy just like me!!  We went in and got comfortable and she brought her leg braces to her Mom to help her put them on. Yes,she ACTUALLY wanted to to wear the evil things, can you believe it?!  My eyes glanced over in the corner and saw her little red handled walker and the memories flooded back to the days when that was my constant companion too!  I sat there with memories of hard days gone by,many days of overcoming and hard determination (stubbornness)   came flooding back.  It was literally like looking at the 5 year old version of me!  I bit my lip so many times and kept sipping my juice to keep me swallowing the lump that wanted to form in my throat!! Phew!  The Lord has been so faithful and when I considered how much grace He had given me to bring this far---I was overwhelmed!

The sweet Momma asked me a lot of questions about life, physio, surgeries etc. We shared stories and when I looked in her eyes as she talked of the struggle and challenges of loving her darling...she teared up. I looked at her as if I was looking my own Mom in the face and said "Thank you for loving her!" I left this house praying a blessing over this sweet girl and her Mom and I was so refreshed!

Earlier that week I also sat in the living room chatting with another Champion Mom whose adult, married son has CP! I asked her what is the hardest thing about being a Mom to a Special Needs Child and through her watery eyes she said something like, "Watching him hurt...and not being able to fix it!"

You see, "special kids" like me, and these I mentioned like me often go through a lot more hurt than 'normal' kids!  Yes, all kids struggle I know that!  Let me keep going without having too much of a pity party here...let me be real!  We are the kids who just ache to run and play tag at recess. We are the kids who are left sitting on the sidelines during the soccer game, the skating or pool party.  We are the kids that always get stared at, will get misunderstood and will have days that completely and utterly suck (sorry Ma...I know you don't like that word?!) We are the kids who push ourselves to the point of exhaustion just to prove that we are not different.  We are the kids that are often called 'inspirational'while on the inside the depression and fight to not give up hangs like a cloud over us!  We hate being told we can't do something...and our shoes are 90% of the time scuffed up...and some don't even stay on our feet!!

My Mom & I
On these days when the struggle is real I (and the two CPers mentioned above)  have one named "Mom" that the Lord knew we would need!  She (along with our Dad & families) would be the one to pull us through those "CP really sucks!" days!  She would hug us, cheer us on and wipe our tears. She would be the taxi driver and copilot to every physio and Dr.!  She  would do her best not to neglect her other children!  She would remind you to "Go to the Bathroom!" " Do your exercises!" and bring you back to the reality that things are different and take longer for you because of your Cerebral Palsy.  She sees the potential in us, reminds us of God's goodness and sacrifices a whole bunch for us.

CP Kids are not the real hero to our story!  We are not the inspirational ones, but after my conversations with these two Moms I have come to appreciate the love and the sacrifice of every special needs Momma out there.  They hurt...they cry and their heart bleeds!!!  The strength they show for their children is straight out of heaven!!  Jesus given for sure!

Thank you, Mom for loving me...for being my best friend and loving me with all my extra special needs!  You are a treasure! Jesus is seen in the way you love me!

  This ones for you!

HEAVEN'S VERY SPECIAL CHILD


A meeting was held quite far from Earth!
It's time again for another birth.
Said the Angels to the LORD above,
This Special Child will need much love.
 
His progress may be very slow,
Accomplishments he may not show.
And he'll require extra care
From the folks he meets down there.
 
He may not run or laugh or play,
His thoughts may seem quite far away,
In many ways he won't adapt,
And he'll be known as handicapped.
 
So let's be careful where he's sent,
We want his life to be content.
Please LORD, find the parents who
Will do a special job for you.
 
They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play,
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love.
 
And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for their gift from Heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild,
Is HEAVEN'S VERY SPECIAL CHILD.
 
 
by Edna Massionilla
December 1981
The Optomist- newsletter for PROUD
Parents Regional Outreach for Understanding Down's Inc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust