Planes, Trains and Wheelchairs

“My wheelchair is my monastery.” I read this in a book recently where the author quoted his Spiritual Director and I feel the truth of his statement. There are things that a life on wheels teaches you that you can never learn any way else. There is a closeness to God and intimacy birthed in suffering and disability that is so precious I barely even want to talk about it out loud. It is the place where the Scripture “He is near the broken- hearted “ is more than just words, but is embodied in the every ordinary day of my wheeling/crutch life. For me, this ol ‘ body and all of its needs has been a place where I’ve felt His Presence ...it’s a sanctuary...a worship space and a place of being known uniquely and knowing  God  even more. You won’t understand it fully ! You also need to know that there are days where I ask  God to heal me, days where the attack of the Enemy poke and accuse this place and days where the shame of it all could keep me a recluse for the rest of my days! Still today I choose to talk about it because I am learning that all of us have limits, all of us have that pain place...all of us have moments where the lies of Hell sing loud! What if though these things that hurt and bring pain were turned over to God and redeemed into that monastery...that place of meeting Jesus....that place of great pain yet great joy?! This is where freedom and transformation lie. These few stories are places from my monastery...my sanctuary...these are the places I meet Him.


I met Him in a car...


Two years agoish I began the process of driving a hand-adapted vehicle. I was very anxious and annoyed as I sat behind a wheel beside a woman who was a good teacher, yet pushed me a bit too hard. I remember moments of frustration and fear. I also remember laughing after as I thought I wish I wore a helmet video camera to capture all my starting and stopping. I was even blessed with a friend who risked her own life and sat in the backseat to listen and give me good feedback after each driving session. No one died!!! Yes, learning to drive will take more practice for me yet and I learned that Vitamin C chewables are good calming items to keep in your car console. :) I also learned that driving for me is a dream  that may have to be let go of for now, but in light of eternity it’s just a small thing. I long to be free and go cruise the roads, but above all else I know I am loved and my pride is swallowed when I ask for rides and wait patiently to pick up this dream again to drive and explore and take long road trips! 

I met Him on the Tracks...


I have moved  to “the other side of the tracks “ this past Fall. This means that  railway crossings, the winter temps, snow covered sidewalks and distance from my necessary amenities are all obstacles to my independence these days. The other week in the cold of the windchill I headed out. I and my mobility scooter were  having a lovely ride when we hit the railroad tracks. My battery was a bit low from the cold and my scooter chair got stuck on the rails. I took off my mittens and was reaching for my phone in a “I’m gonna die panic!”Finally I just gave up and started flapping my arms like a chicken in order to get the attention of someone in traffic  driving by. : ) God’s Grace was real y’all! A couple of vehicles stopped and pushed me off...when not even a minute later a train came rolling by on the track next to where I was!!!!!! Phew! I was glad to be alive. I was    grateful for the urgency of the kind pushers and I felt cared for as a friend made sure I got home ok later on. God’s Presence was real on the tracks that day...even when panic and death seemed so close. Hallelujah!

I met Him on a plane...


Flying is one of my favourite things. The airports and logistics stress me out, but I rather enjoy the adventure. I am met again here with the reality of my limits. Flight attendants are kind to push me on planes and to my gate... I am grateful! Still it’s annoying to haul luggage 
into a washroom or try and get food or coffee here too. Still when I step back and reflect on the kindness of a stranger who pushed me to a washroom or who served me by carrying my coffee for me I am a puddle!  Over and over again I am reminded of His care for me. Yep, I cry...I laugh...I get frustrated and find great joy here. I am definitely met and feel God in these ordinary, every day 
places of my crutch livin, scooter drivin’ life. It’s a refining thing not a defining thing. It’s a real part of my God authored Story and I’m living it. 

I wonder, reading friend , what are your places of pain ?   They will be different than mine, but not any less   important. Will you open your heart...open your eyes to see how He meets you there? He is always there offering joy, hope and a “withness” even in suffering...even when it feels like He’s not acting...we can say Yes to Trusting Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth (even when it hurts)

No More Cancer

Shake Off the Dust